This Whimsical Cookie is so simple and cloud~like, with a chewy center and crunchy outer shell.
These simple treats might not be as popular as other cookies but there smooth melt~in~your~mouth consistency and subtle sweetness makes them one of my favorites!
The Meringue is an airy delight and a perfect alternative to other heavy, sugary, treats.
My recipe replaces regular bleached sugar with the healthier coconut sugar and maple sugar which adds a nice hint of caramel/molasses flavor to these sweet crisp cookies.
Meringue cookies as well as being delicious are also very versatile just add in some spices, or gently swirl in some food coloring, or sprinkle in some cacao powder and you can transform them from simple sweet cookies to whimsical and dainty treats.
In my recipe I drizzle coconut caramel and melted dairy free chocolate on top to make them a little more decedent and add a smooth creamy texture to the tops.
~A word on whipping egg whites~
1) If you want to achieve the maximum volume in your egg whites, it is very important to keep fats(aka grease) and water away from your egg whites.
2) Make sure all your equipment is dry, that there is no grease in your mixing bowl, and make sure to use glass, stainless steel, or copper bowls and silicone or metal utensils are best.
3) Makes sure to avoid plastic bowls and utensils because they can be porous and hold grease.
4) In addition to these tips also make sure there are no drips of egg yolk in the whites.
5) Eggs that are room temperature whip up better than cold ones. So after separating the egg whites from the yolks, let them rest out on the kitchen counter for about 30 minutes before you start whipping.
~So Many Flavors And Toppings!~
There are lots of flavor options and toppings you can use to change up your basic meringue recipe.
1) You can use pure extracts such as rose, vanilla, peppermint, orange, almond or hazelnut.
2) You can sift cacao powder or powdered sugar, sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg or coconut shavings on top of them, or like I did in this recipe you can drizzle melted chocolate and coconut caramel on top after there done baking.
3) Another option is folding in nuts such as sliced almonds, pecans, or pistachios, or even chocolate chips, freeze~dried fruits, or coconut flakes before baking them.
4) Make sure not to add liquids or your egg whites will fall/break down, so for food coloring use gel colors instead of liquid.